Some of you may remember my previous post on the Dr. Oz 3 Day Detox. While my husband and I did the detox, one of my main motivations was the detox bath. At first it was just because I wanted to take a nice, long, relaxing bath. (when your a new mom, those happen...well, never.) Then I realized how amazing a detox bath really could be!
The Ultra Detox Bath is fairly simple and straight forward and has a lot of benefits for your body.
Step One: Fill your bath with hot water, 2 cups of Epsom salt (magnesium sulfate). You can find Epsom salt
at any grocery or pharmacy. It's fairly inexpensive. The magnesium helps aid in replenishing magnesium
deficiencies and the sulfate flushes toxins from the body.
Step Two: I add a few drops of essential oils. Personally, I prefer lavender, because it's naturally soothing to
Step Three: Soak for at least 20-40 minutes in a hot bath for maximum benefits.
No less than 20 min. to work up a sweat to help aid in the detox. Really, the longer the better.
Be careful getting out of the tub when your done! You may feel light headed as your body has been working
to detox. Drink a glass of water.
Enjoy a detox bath up to three times a week for maximum benefits.
There are lots of other times that a epsom salt bath is beneficial to your body too.
Occasionally, I will draw an Epsom Salt bath for my husband (minus the lavender!) if he is sore from working out or doing something physical. He grips and groans about taking a "bath". I guess it's not "manly" to have a soak in a tub. But afterwards he feels so much better, as it aids in relieving sore muscles.
Below are other facts about Epsom Salt that are beneficial to the body:
Researchers and physicians suggest these health benefits from proper magnesium and sulfate levels, as listed on the web site of the Epsom Salt Industry Council:
- Improved heart and circulatory health, reducing irregular heartbeats, preventing hardening of the arteries, reducing blood clots and lowering blood pressure.
- Improved ability for the body to use insulin, reducing the incidence or severity of diabetes.
- Flushed toxins and heavy metals from the cells, easing muscle pain and helping the body to eliminate harmful substances.
- Improved nerve function by electrolyte regulation. Also, calcium is the main conductor for electrical current in the body, and magnesium is necessary to maintain proper calcium levels in the blood.
- Relieved stress. Excess adrenaline and stress are believed to drain magnesium, a natural stress reliever, from the body. Magnesium is necessary for the body to bind adequate amounts of serotonin, a mood-elevating chemical within the brain that creates a feeling of well being and relaxation.
- Reduced inflammation to relieve pain and muscle cramps.
- Improved oxygen use.
- Improved absorption of nutrients.
- Improved formation of joint proteins, brain tissue and mucin proteins.
- Prevention or easing of migraine headaches.
All these benefits from taking a bath? I say hurry up and draw a bath now! It's not just a luxury, but a huge health boost to your body! So make the time, to relax and enjoy!